Sweet puns, wild promises, unorthodox declarations of love – marriage proposals can be all these and more. If you feel like going beyond the old “Will you marry me?”, check out our list of 10 unoriginal, but surprisingly effective marriage proposal quotes that will have your loved one say “yes” in a heartbeat!
1. Corny as it gets, but it should do the trick. We hope you don’t take the “never walk alone part” literally, though.
“From this day forward, you’ll never walk alone. My heart will be your shelter and my arms will be your home.”
2. If your loved one is a fan of uncalled-for puns.
“Of all the fish in the sea, I’m so glad you swam to me. Whale you marry me?”
3. Who said you can’t be in two places at once?
“I exist in two places, here and wherever you are. Be mine?”
4. An offer you can’t refuse…
“Let all my happiness be your, all your sadness be mine. Let the whole world be yours, only you be mine!”
5. Who doesn’t love a solid promise once in a while?
“I promise you, no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than me.”
6. If “earthly companion” didn’t give this away already, this one is from Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre. We’ll let you see if it actually worked.
“I ask you to pass through life at my side—to be my second self, and best earthly companion.”
7. A little rhyme here in there never hurt anyone.
“If I could give you any gift, I’d give you love and laughter, a peaceful heart, a special dream, and joy forever after.”
8. OK, a little more rhyme never hurt anyone, either.
“If you’ll be my soft and sweet, I’ll be your strong and steady. You’ll be my glass of wine, I’ll be your shot of whiskey. You’ll be my sunny day; I’ll be your shade tree. You’ll be my honeysuckle; I’ll be your honey bee!”
9. This one is by composer and songwriter Cole Porter, a gay man happily married to a straight woman until death parted them. How’s that for effective proposals?
“Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it; let’s do it, let’s fall in love.”
10. We’ll end this with a promise, since they’re so fitting.
“I promise to love you forever… Every single day of forever!”
Now tell us, which one of these would you actually use?